Hooked on Tuna – Fishing Competition 2121
Hooked on Tuna Fishing Competition is back in 2021 in the waters of Australia’s Bluefin Tuna Capitol
The annual Portland Tuna Fishing Competition runs over four weekends and in 2021 will take place from Saturday 1st May to Sunday 23rd May 2021
A total cash prize pool of $10,000 is up for grabs including; $1000 each weekend for the heaviest catch
Overall heaviest catch – $3000
Overall first runner up $2000
Overall second runner up $1000
You’re going to fish anyway … might as well enter for your chance to win!
Competition Terms and Conditions
All fish must be presented, bled or bled, gilled and gutted preferably on ice.
Refer to weighing section for exceptions.
Saturday 6-30 am to 5-00 pm
Sunday 6-30 am to 5-00 pm
Weigh in times
Saturday 4-00 pm to 5-00 pm
Sunday 2-00 pm to 3-00 pm
Boats are not to depart the harbour any earlier than 6-30 am on each fishing day. Photo ID must be presented. Entrants must enter him or herself and provide photo ID ( can be provided at weigh in time for those entering onlne) and entrants cannot enter the competition once they are on the water. Registration needs to occur prior to leaving the harbour.
In the event of a fish being hooked and played for a length of time in the late part of the day we will extend the weigh in for an additional hour after weigh in time. You must advise officials of this at the time of hook up in the last hour of competition by contacting Michael Hunter 0419 639 338
- Entrants in the competition will leave from the Portland Harbour no earlier than 6-30 am
- Competitors can fish up to 40 nautical miles in any direction from Lawrence Rocks. Boundaries have been established to maintain a level and affordable playing field
- Weigh-ins will occur at the old boat ramp in front of the Yacht Club. All fish must be presented Gilled Gutted and bled. Final presentation will take place at the Portland Yacht Club on Sunday 23 rd May from 3-00pm.
Southern Bluefin Tuna only. Caught on rod and reel only
Only one fish will be weighed per entrant each day
Live fish must not be presented at the weigh station. All fish are to be weighed at the weigh station situated at the South Boat Ramp in front of the Portland Yacht Club during the weigh in times specified. Fish will only be weighed in gilled and gutted.
If, in the opinion of the Angler, the fish is a potential record catch, the fish may be weighed in whole, then taken away for cleaning, and then re-weighed for the contest.
Prizes are as follows;
Weekly weekend prize heaviest catch $1000
Overall competition period heaviest catch $3000
Overall competition period heaviest catch first runner up $2000
Overall competition period heaviest catch second runner up $1000
In event of a tie, the prize will be shared. Prize winners will receive funds by electronic bank transfer on the first business day after the competition.
Funds may take up to 48 hours to reach bank account.
Weather updates will be broadcast by the Portland Coast Guard throughout the weekend. Please tune in for updated weightings at VHF repeater channel 81. Or check for regular updates via the Facebook event.
Fisheries and Water Police
All entrants are to abide by the State Fisheries in regard to licencing, catch and possession limits. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that their water craft and safety gear comply with the Victorian State Safety Rules.
- All boats are highly encouraged to register with the Coastguard Portland on VHF16. Remember to log of at the end of the day.
- Never fish in dangerous conditions. It is the responsibility of the entrants to decide whether conditions are suitable for their craft and the safety of all anglers. All anglers and boats enter this competition at their own risk.
- The organising committee reserve the right to reduce the fishing area or close the days fishing if it is believed that sea conditions are unsafe.
- The final decision regarding cancellation of a day’s fishing due to unsafe conditions will be made by the Portland Division of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard
This competition is open to all age groups. Children under 16 must provide consent by a parent or guardian.
Tag and Release
Most tagged Southern Bluefin Tuna by Boat. Champion tagging boat will win $1000 voucher and trophy. Unused tags and applicators to be returned to Portland Bait and Tackle. Tag Number range to be provided to Michael Hunter.
There will be no refunds given on entry under any circumstances other than cancellation of event due to pandemic and and potential travel restrictions as a result of State Government directed lockdown.
By paying to enter the competition you accept and agree to all the above terms and conditions as outlined in the competition rules. You also agree to council using any images taken during the competition of promotion and marketing.