“A family friendly place to live and visit”
Dartmoor is a small rural township in the southwest corner of Victoria, bounded by the Glenelg River and the Lower Glenelg National Park. The surrounding district includes the communities of Mumbannar, Winnap and Drik Drik.
The Dartmoor and District Progress Association Inc. ( the Association) is a dedicated group of volunteers who lead the community in many ventures, and have a strong influence in promoting community pride.
The following information is a guide to the services, facilities and attractions in Dartmoor township and the surrounding district.
Dartmoor is located on the Princes Highway, and is easily accessible to nearby locations. just some examples of distance from Dartmoor to:
Destination Via Distance Portland Victoria Princes Highway 72.6 km Mount Gambier South Australia Princes Highway 50.5 km Melbourne Victoria Hamilton Highway 376.2 km Adelaide South Australia Riddoch Highway 484.6 km Warrnambool Victoria Princes Highway 188.1 km Grampians Victoria C187 / Glenelg Highway 112.4 km
*Hosted by the Dartmoor and District Progress Association *
The Dartmoor and District Progress Association Inc. is a small voluntary Group who work tirelessly to:
- Further the progress of Dartmoor and its surrounding district
- Liaise with the Glenelg Shire and government departments towards the progress of Dartmoor and district
- Conduct social, recreational and cultural events and to support other social and cultural activities
- Promote Dartmoor and surrounds as a tourist destination
- Engage in fund raising activities to support its objectives
- Acquire property and exercise rights and privileges for the purpose of the Association
The Association maintains and beautifies the inner town area on a voluntary basis, and leads the way with community projects such as the Memorial Streetscape Tree Carvings, the Village Green and River Walk.
It also accepts the roles of Tidy Town Committee, Tourism Association and Rural Transaction Centre Committee of Management.
Dartmoor & District Progress Association Inc.
President – Wendy Dowling PO Box 23 Dartmoor Vic 3304 Phone 0417 281 391 Fax (03) 5528 1462 Email: email@example.com
Secretary – Heather Liddle c/o Post Office Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Phone (03) 5528 1463 Email: summerlea187 @gmail.com
Treasurer – Sue Tregellis c/o Post Office Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Phone 0429 382 199
Meetings Bi – monthly ( 2 Monday) ( notices advise amendments) 7.30 pm at the Lions Club-rooms
Membership By nomination – Fees: $ 2 Annually
please contact the Association :
Dartmoor & District
Dartmoor is scenically situated ion the Glenelg River in South West Victoria about 400 km from Melbourne and 500 km from Adelaide on National Highway 1, The Princes Highway. It is central to major tourist attractions such as the Grampians, the Coonawarra wine district and the Limestone Coast.
The Dartmoor district has an intriguing appeal and history of its own, through surveying by Major Mitchell and the age of pastoral expansion, to its growth as a lasting centre of prime grazing production and the epicentre of the softwood plantation industry.
The town of Dartmoor has full amenities for travelers and tourists, including accommodation, camping, dining, store ,post office, bush nursing, internet cafe, fuel and auto repairs.
Dartmoor and District Location Map
Dartmoor Town Map
Dartmoor and local communities have many diverse attractions for both day tourists and longer-term traveler alike, including:
- World War 1 Avenue of Honor Memorial Street Carvings and street scape
- Camping, water sports, river cruises ( out of Nelson) and fishing in the Lower Glenelg River
- Swimming and canoeing at the Major Mitchell Trail/Fort O”Hare canoe launching area and campground
- Village Green with free electric BBQ, shelter, picnic tables, playground, tree carvinfs and water feature.
- River Walk along the Glenelg River from Fort O’Hare Bird Bath wayside stop
- Heritage Walk Dartmoor
- Paestan canoe hire at Winnap
- Wood Wine and Roses forest drive
- The Great South West Walk
- River Road in the Lower Glenelg National Park
- Princess Margaret Rose Cave
- The Grampians
- Lower Glenelg National Park
- Blue Lake – Mount Gambier, South Australia
Dartmoor’s World War 1 Avenue of Honour Memorial tree carvings and street scape, carved by chainsaw-sculptor Kevin Gilders, restorations completed by sculpture Jon Dickson 2017
The Coach House Museum
The museum was opened in 1993 and aims to preserve the object, written, oral, and pictorial history of the Dartmoor district. The area has a fascinating past – from its significant aboriginal location through pastoral settlement, into a key part of the softwood timber industry.
Themed exhibitions are regularly displayed, information is accessible for family and social researchers, and district history publications are available for sale. In addition, guided historical tours of the town and district can be organised for interested groups.
Nowlee Arts and Crafts (located in the Museum)
Nowlee Arts and Crafts Highlights locally made sewing designs, especially quilts, bags and art pieces. Specific orders can be taken. Also displayed, is a captivating parliament of over 400 ornamental owls of all varieties!
Local Produce Market
A local produce market is held at the front of the museum on the second Saturday of each month. Rhe museum is open Friday to Monday, or by appointment.
The Village Green
This area includes a free electric BBQ, playground, gazebo, carved bollards, tree carvings, horse trough and flume and a water feature.
Dartmoor Heritage Trail Walk
Guided tours of the town, will take you down the Heritage Trail Walk. During this walk, you will go through the Avenue of Honour. The Avenue of Honour was planted back in 1918 with Atlantic Cedar trees. Over time the original nameplates have disappeared, so in 1994 a plaque the names and respective tree locations was placed on the wall of the Dartmoor District Memorial Hall.
You will also get to see Fort O”Hare where Major Mitchell camped during his exploration of “Australian Felix”, on the junction of the Glenelg River and Crawford Rivers.
To really appreciate the history of Dartmoor, the Heritage Trail Walk will provide you with the towns history and future development.
Dartmoor Community Op Shop
The community Op Shop is housed in the building of the St George’s Anglican Church building.
Donations of shop proceeds are distributed to local Community Groups.
Opening hours are;
Wednesday 1.30 pm – 3.00 pm Thursday 10.00 am – 3. 30 pm Friday 1.30 pm – 3.30 pm Saturday 10.00 am to 12.30 pm
World War 1 Avenue of Honour Memorial Tree Carvings
Carved insignia of our three-Armed Services
Carved Muriel depicting Gallipoli
River walk from Fort O”Hare to the Bird Bath Wayside Stop following the Glenelg River.
Greenwald Art Studio
Alexandra Davis is a Contemporary Artist in all medians and all subjects. She is available for commission
A unique collection of colourful and textured inspirational work in glass. All work is hand crafted on this quaint country studio.
State Emergency Service (SES)
Dartmoor, amongst its many other attractions and services, is home to a well-equipped State Emergency (SES) unit. A dedicated team of trained volunteers provide assistance in times of need.
New volunteers always welcome.
Contact Unit Controller Dallas Oakley Phone 0428 281 438 Local Head Quarters Ascot Street DARTMOOR VIC 3304 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dartmoor Lions Club volunteers work continuously and tirelessly throughout the year to help the local community and surrounds. They will help out with a BBQ to raise funds, help tidy up the community, volunteer to help others in need, and all with a smile.
Contact Local President Mark McClean Phone 0491 381 131 Local Address 5 Wanwin Street DARTMOOR VIC 3304 Website http://lionsclubs.org.au?contact/vic/
Services are held at the following churches in the district:
St Georges Anglican Church Now houses community Op Shop
St Andrew’s Uniting Church Services held for special occasions
St Patrick’s Catholic Church Services held for special occasions
The newly incorporated niche wall has been installed into the back of the front fence panels. A new gazebo has been erected and name boards listing grave sites has been installed in this building.
The local Dartmoor Cemetery has many of its founding forefathers laid to rest there. It is not a very big cemetery, but one of complete rest. The cemetery is still being used to this day. It is worth a visit to see the old grave stones. Located only a couple of minutes out of Dartmoor, Bowd’s Lane Dartmoor Victoria.
Dartmoor Primary School
Dartmoor Primary School ( Greenham Street, near the Post Office, and opposite the General Store) is a friendly supportive community school with class sizes catering for grades prep to six. Experienced and dedicated staff provide a diverse curriculum. A school bus service caters for the surrounding district.
Dartmoor Children’s Centre
The Dartmoor Children’s Centre is located in Lang Street and operates two days a week – Mondays and Fridays. Kindergarten and Occasional Care Programs are available on both days.
Details of progress are available by phoning 03 5528 1227 or the Glenelg Shire Council.
Dartmoor has an excellent 9 – hole golf course in a bushland setting with summer and winter competitions and tournaments, situated on the banks of the Glenelg River in South West Victoria,
Par 70. 5551 metres Green course. Membership for green and per annum players ( please contact the club for more details).
Season runs from April to December. Comp days Saturdays from 12 noon and Tuesdays. Green free players welcome.
Social competitions and tournaments are held throughout the summer: Ladies Pennant Fridays Open Pennants Saturdays Twilight Bowls Tuesdays 5.00 pm Ladies and Men’s Tournaments throughout the year Everyone is welcome to play anytime
Are available for public use next to the Dartmoor Town Oval and at Mumbannar.
Dartmoor Sporting Complex
Home of the Dartmoor Giants. Sports played at the oval include Australian Rules football and netball is played April to September, and Cricket from October to March, all are played at the town oval.
Dartmoor Angling Club
Established in the early 1950’s by like minded people who enjoyed fishing and relaxing along the Glenelg Rivers. The club caters for those of all ages
The Dartmoor Show is held at the Mumbannar Showground on the first Saturday of December each year.
The show is made up of equestrian events, sporting clay shoots, child’s pet parade, flower show, and special sections for exhibits by school children. A BBQ stall with soft drinks runs all day – light lunches and tea, coffee and cakes also available.
Admission Adults $5.00 Students $ 1.00 Under 16 years free ( subject to change)
Contact details Wendy Dowling Phone 0417 281 391 Email: email@example.com
The Dartmoor Rodeo is held at the Dartmoor Oval in February of each year. It keeps getting bigger yaer by year, from the support of the local community and surrounding areas.
Golf and Bowls tournaments are held through the year; Check the club listings for more details.
Accommodation & Dining
Fort O”Hare Campground
Free camping with BBQ’s, fishing, tables, toilet, fireplaces, swimming hole and canoe launching – large area accepts all sizes of RV’s and caravans – pet friendly
Dartmoor Hotel / Motel
Originally built in 1861, the Dartmoor Inn ( as it was known back then) has provided accommodation and friendly smiles to the numerous travelers through the area. The Dartmoor Hotel continues the tradition set by the early pioneers, to provide guests with a comfortable, modern atmosphere, whilst still capturing the charm of yesteryear.
The hotel offers affordable accommodation, a restaurant, public bar , free parking and more.
Contact; Tex & Lorraine Lipscombe Webpage; http://www.dartmoorhotel.com.au Address; 4 Lindsay Road Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Email; firstname.lastname@example.org Phone; 03 5528 1240
Dartmoor General Store
Petrol, take away food, coffee shop and Wi-Fi available Facebook; https:wwwfacebook.com/Dartmoor-General-Store-422083337954136/ Address; Grennham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304 Phone 03 5528 1220
The beautiful Tuppence Cottage is located on a large block, and not far from the centre of town. It boast a front and rear yard and plenty of space and bird life to enjoy. It has a fully fenced yard. Basic pantry items are supplied, with fully equip kitchen. All contact through AirBNB.
Hosted by; Sue Moses Webpage; https://www.airbnb.au/rooms/12763333
Old Drik Drik Schoolhouse Retreat
Only 10 minutes from the Glenelg River. this rural historic renovated stone schoolhouse, has a modern extension. It has a deck, pergola, gas BBQ and to top it all off, a wood pizza oven. There are plenty of activities to do nearby, such as bike riding and canoes, There is lots of space to enjoy the peace and quiet in comfort.
Hosted by; Barbara Webpage; https:www,airbnb.com.au/rooms/10525856
Contact details for Services and Businesses in Dartmoor and Surrounds
All contacts set out below are subject to change. We endeavor to keep them current. Please use other avenues of contact if details are not correct.
*** In the event of an EMERGENCY, please contact 000 ***
- Angling Club Phone 03 5528 1258 Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DartmoorAnglingClub/
- Bowling Club Phone 03 5528 1266 Address 73 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304
- Bush Nursing Centre Emergency 000 Phone 03 5528 1381 03 5528 1303 Address 73 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Webpage http://home.glenelgnow.net.au/dartmoorbnc/
- Cemetery Phone 03 5528 1248 Address 40 Bowds Lane Dartmoor Vic. 3304
- Country Fire Authority Emergency 000 Vic Emergency Hotline 1800 226 226 http:www.cfa.vic.gov.au/contact/
- Dartmoor Children’s Centre Phone 03 5528 1227 Address Lang Street Dartmoor Vic 3304
- Dartmoor & District Address 82 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304 Community Op Shop
- Dartmoor District Museum Phone 0419 505 632 0422 643 162 0488 553 803 incorporating Nowlee Arts Address Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304 & Crafts Website https://dartmoordistrictnuseum.wordpress.com/ Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NoeleeCraft
- Department of Environment Vic Emergency Hotline 1800 262 262 Land Water and Planning Phone 136 186 (DELWP) Webpage https://www2.delwp.vic.gov.au/our-department/contact-us
- Digby Hotei/ General Store Phone 03 5579 3281 Address 3237 Portland Road Digby Vic. 3309 Facebook https://www.facebook.com?digbyhotel
- Football, Netball & Phone 03 5528 1322 Address PO Box 53 Dartmoor Vic 3304 Webpage http://website,sportstg.com/clubinfo.cgi?c=0-6197-80909-0-0 Football Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/57225043398 Cricket Facebook https:www.facebook.com/dartmoor.cricketclub? fref=gm&dti=57225043398&hclocation=group
- General Store / Phone 03 5528 1220 IT Training Room Address 81 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304 Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Dartmoor-General-Store- 422083337954136/
- Glass Inspirations Phone 0427 558 388 for opening hours Address 88 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304
- Golf Club Phone 03 5528 1469 Address Wapling Avenue Dartmoor Vic 3304 Webpage https:www.golfselect.com.ai/armchair/courseview?course id=961 Facebook u
- Greenwald Art Gallery Contact Alexandra Davis Phone 0478 844 685 Address 4905 Princess Highway Greenwald Vic. 3304
- Hotel/Motel Phone 03 5528 1240 Address 4 Lindsay Road Dartmoor Vic 3304 Webpage http://www.dartmoorhotel.com.au/ Facebook https//www.facebook.com/dartmoorpub
- Lanes Plumbing & Phone 0400 099 767 Drainage Pty Ltd Address 130 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Email email@example.com
- Library 2go – Heywood Phone 03 5527 0666 visiting library van ( Initiative through Glenelg Shire Council) Heywood Address 77 Edgar Street Heywood Vic. 3304 Webpage http://www.glenelglibraries.vic.gov.au/library2go-hits-the-road
- Lions Club Phone 0491 381 131 Address 5 Wanwin Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Website http://lionsclub.org.au/contact/vic/
- Lyons Sculpture Park Phone 0437 000 433 Address Princess Highway Lyons Vic. 3304 Webpage http://www.lyonssculpturepark.com.au/ Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/LoynsSculpturePark/
- Mechanical Services Phone 03 5528 1328 Address Ascot Street Dartmoor
- Memorial Hall Phone 03 5528 6229 Dartmoor Address 73 Greenham Street Dartmoor 3304
- Mumbannar Hall Phone 0437 521 985 ( Matt Bull ) Address Princess Highway Mumbannar Vic. 3304 Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/35590196621
- Old Drik Drik Schoolhouse Website https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/
- Paestan Canoe Hire Phone 0429 381 875 0458 553 708 Address 75 Nelson Road Winnap Vic 3304 Website htttp:www.conoehire.com.au/
- Police Emergency 000 Phone 03 5528 1222 Address Wapling Avenue Dartmoor Vic 3304 Website http://www.police.vic.gov.au//content.asp?Document ID=373
- Post Office / Phone 03 5528 1319 Rural Transaction Address 84 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic 3304 Centre (RTC) Website https://auspost.com.au/pol/app/locate/post-office/VIC/Dartmoor- LPO-330974
- Primary School Phone 03 5528 1382 (grades prep to 6) Address 76 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Website http://www.dartmoorps.vic.edu/
- Public Telephone Address 84 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304
- State Emergency Service Phone 0428 281 438 (SES) Address Ascot Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304
- T & G Hunt Electrical Phone 0432 620 664 Contractor Address 4 Anzac Court Dartmoor Vic 3304
- The Original Animalia Address Riverview Terrace Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Embroidery Hobby Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Theoriginalanimaliaembroidery/
- Tuppence Cottage Website https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/12763333 hosted through AirBNB
- Validation Makeup Phone 0473 008 604 Facebook https://www.facebook.com/VALIDATIONMAKEUP/
- V-Line Bus Phone 1800 800 007 Daily Service Arrives and Departs from the Dartmoor General Store 81 Greenham Street Dartmoor Vic. 3304 Website https://www.vline.com.au